UPDATE: The Direct Qualification registration and application deadlines have been extended to August 21st at midnight.
- 2021 Fleets: 29er, International 420, ILCA 7 (Standard), ILCA 6 (Radial), Nacra 15, iQFoil
- Competitors shall not reach their 20th birthday by December 31, and must be eligible to compete per the Notice of Race.
- Coaching is provided for all competitors by US Sailing’s Youth National Coach and team of Fleet Coaches
- Selection & Entry Guide and FAQs
- 2021 Youth Championship Direct Qualification Regattas
- Direct Qualification events and qualified sailors
- Applications for the 2021 U.S. Youth Championship will be due in mid-August, 2021
- Frequently Asked Questions – 2021 U.S. Youth Championship (posted April 5, 2021)
The U.S. Youth Sailing Championship was started in 1973 at the Sheridan Shore Yacht Club in Wilmette, IL. The top youth sailors from around the country were sent invitations to attend the event in Lasers and 470s in mid-June. Over forty years later, U.S. Youth Championship remains US Sailing’s pinnacle youth regatta, featuring the nation’s top competitors racing in six high performance classes.
Key Things To Do When Writing Your Application
- Make sure you submit within the application period
- Note that for doublehanded boats, one application per boat is required
- Also for doublehanded boats, mixed gender teams are accepted
- Make sure your US Sailing membership is up to date. You will need a valid US Sailing member ID to apply. You can renew your membership here.
- If you are not a US citizen, but a permanent resident, you will need to obtain a Sailing Residence certificate from World Sailing in order to be eligible to compete in Youth Worlds. You must obtain this certificate before submitting your application. To inquire about receiving a Residence certificate, email email@example.com
- Review the information that will be asked for in the application and make sure you have that handy (including teammate contact information, for doublehanded boats). If you do this, the application should only take you 10 minutes to fill out!
- Type up your training plan/schedule ahead of time so you can just copy and paste it into that section of the application.
- Gather information from the regattas you’ve competed in this past year. For each event be sure to include: name of regatta, location/host, dates, your overall result.
Review the information in this Application Guide before stating your application.