Cedar Point Yacht Club seeks a full-time Club Manager / Waterfront Director. This position is responsible for overall day-to-day operations, including delivering the Club’s facilities, amenities and services to a standard that ensures maximum member and guest satisfaction in an atmosphere of hospitality, friendliness, and congeniality. The Club Manager works collaboratively with the House Governor / Vice Commodore (these typically are the same person) as well as the various Board committees, including House, Entertainment, Race & Regatta, and Junior Sailing to provide necessary supplies, equipment and staff support for the Club’s volunteers and to ensure “smooth sailing” for all. For more information, and to apply, please see our job ad HERE
Located in Westport, CT, CPYC is an inclusive club that promotes the enjoyment of sailing for current members and for generations to come. Cedar Point Yacht Club (CPYC) is an inclusive, participatory club with racing, social, cruising, and other sailing-related activities that appeal to sailors of different skills, experience, and interests.
With a 130+ year racing tradition and more than 100 days of racing each season, our members’ commitment to the sport speaks for itself.
CPYC promotes high-quality, friendly competition, good sportsmanship, and camaraderie among sailors.
In addition to our vibrant racing, junior sailing, and women’s sailing programs we host an extensive regatta schedule including numerous regional and national championships.
US Sailing awarded Cedar Point the One Design Club of the Year Award in 2002, 2007, and 2018 and the St. Petersberg YC Trophy for excellence in race management in 1998.
The Fleets at Cedar Point
Cedar Point offers racing programs in a number of different types of boats. Although membership is required to skipper a boat on a regular basis in many of our programs, crewing on members’ boats is open to non-members and skippering in some programs is open to non-members as noted below. Follow the link for any of the classes of boats below to that fleet’s webpage. Information and the email address of the Fleet Captain is available there to find out more about racing at Cedar Point.
- Atlantic: 30′ one design keel boats with main, jib and spinnakers and sailed by crew of 3 or 4. Racing on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Non-members are invited to crew.
- Flying Scot: 19′ one design centerboard boats with main, jib and spinnaker and sailed by crew of 2 or 3. Racing on Saturdays. Extensive local regatta schedule. Non-members are invited to crew.
- High School Sailing: Race training in both team racing and fleet racing in Club 420s (boats supplied) on weekday afternoons in spring and fall. Extensive local regatta schedule.
- J/70: 23′ one design sport boat with main, jib and spinnaker and sailed by a crew of 3 or 4. Racing on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. This is CPYC’s newest fleet – come see what all the excitement is about. Get one and join or join in the fun with a member.
- Junior Sailing: Sailing and race training for 8- to 17-year-olds. Boats used are: 8′ Optimist Dinghies, 14′ Pixels, 14′ Lasers and Laser Radials and 14′ 420s. Late June through mid-August. Extensive local junior regatta schedule. Non-members welcome. Charter boats available.
- Laser: 14′ one design single-handed centerboard boat. Hugely popular frostbite racing series on Sundays in fall and spring, and Saturdays of three day weekends in summer. Multiple, short course race format. Extensive local regatta schedule. Reduced-rate Winter Membership available. Fleet boat available for a day or two of guest skippering by members or non-members.
- Lightning: 19′ one design centerboard boats with main, jib and spinnaker and sailed by crew of 3. Racing on Saturdays. Extensive local regatta schedule. Non-members are invited to crew.
- PHRF Racing: 24′ to 44′ racer/cruisers racing on Wednesday nights, Sundays and overnight rendezvous on Holiday weekends. Non-member owner/skippers as well as crews are welcome to race.
- Star: 22′ one design keel boats with main and jib sailed by 2 crew. Racing on Saturdays. Extensive local regatta schedule. Non-members are invited to crew.
- Thistle: 17′ one design centerboard boats with main, jib and spinnaker and sailed by crew of 3. Racing on Saturdays. Extensive local regatta schedule. Non-members are invited to crew.
- Vanguard 15: 15′ one design centerboard boats with main and jib, sailed by crew of 2. Racing on Thursday evenings and Sunday afternoons with multiple, short course race format. Extensive local regatta schedule. Non-members are invited to crew. Fleet boat available for a day or two of guest skippering by members or non-members.
These fleets and programs are supported by an outstanding private harbor and drystall facilities, a large fleet of race committee and support boats, and a delightful clubhouse and property with a beautiful view of Long Island Sound and the Saugatuck River.